What is culture? What is my culture?

Culture can be defined as "the integrated pattern of human knowledge, belief, and behavior that depends upon the capacity for learning and transmitting knowledge to succeeding generations." It is also defined as "the customary beliefs, social reforms, and material traits of a racial, religious or social group; the characteristic features of everyday existence shared by people in a place or time." Merriam Webster Dictionary

Here is how I see American culture: I see the American culture as a large population of people who have varied opinions and ideas about several different topics. We tend to share our ideas with others hoping that we can put our heads together to find a plan to pursue whatever this idea may be. We also like to express our opinions with others whether it may be because we disagree or we agree. In America, the ideas and opinions we share are often shared with some well thought out response we wish to hear, but more often than not do we hear our peers argue over who is in the right and wrong regarding whatever may have been said.
As well as sharing our opinions and ideas, I believe America prides itself on being religiously free and although we may be stubborn to new ideas it does not mean that we are not open to them. The one thing I love most about America is that you get what you work for. In my opinion, I believe that what you earn is far more rewarding that getting everything handed to you. The sense of accomplishment and the feeling that you can say, "This is my work and look how it paid off."
In Huntsville, the culture is much different. We do still share our opinions and ideas with others, but the Southern culture is a lot more friendlier. Here in the South, people tend to be more friendly than in other parts of the country, and by friendly, I mean we say "hi" and wave to strangers when we pass. As I was driving home today, I noticed that since I have started driving, strangers in my neighborhood even wave when I'm driving through to get to my house. It is welcoming and on bad days, it really makes me feel better when others make it an effort to smile and wave to strangers.
Aside from strangers making you feel welcome, the South, or Huntsville in particular is known for being the Rocket city. Most of what happens in Huntsville revolves around this idea of the Rocket city. Yesterday in fact, we were able to witness the natural phenomenon of the year, the total solar eclipse, it passed through the United States, but Huntsville was lucky enough to be in the 97% totality range. Our whole school was provided the special sunglasses to watch this once in a lifetime event by Nasa, and as a school we got to experience this breath taking event. Something else Huntsville is known for is our sense of community, within our school we are a community almost like a family. But, connected with the greater Huntsville area, we are most definitely a community.

During my years at Randolph, I have experienced "culture shock." Culture shock can be defined as "a sense of confusion or uncertainty sometimes with feelings of anxiety that may affect people exposed to an alien culture or environment without adequate preparation." Merriam Webster Dictionary In fourth grade, we first learned about Jamestown and the settlement of the United States briefly. I remember hearing about the slaves and how they were treated as property. My first thought was I can't even imagine how this must have felt, and still today, I believe that no one can really understand what those slaves went through without actually experiencing it for yourself. As the years passed, I remember trying to put myself in their shoes but every time I failed to actually come to a conclusion because it was difficult. From the definition that Merriam Webster provided me, I agree that I was in an environment without adequate preparation, whether it be the day or the lesson, but mostly as a fourth grader learning about slave trade and people owning other people as property was challenging to soak in and accept right away. From time to time, I still wonder how it is that the same country that I live in has changed so much since then when owning slaves was legal in the Southern states. It also makes me wonder what my life would have been like if I'd grown up during that time.
In addition to the slave culture shock, I have also had a cross-cultural experience. Toward the end of sixth grade, I befriended this amazingly funny and sarcastic girl from Pakistan. I remember us both being intrigued by both of our native cultures. She told me all about her Muslim culture and similar to the idea of slaves, my mind was blown. I knew of her Muslim culture but when spoken about more in depth, my eyes were opened to the vastly different lifestyles that Americans live compared to others around the world.

Comments