Reflection on Paraphrase Practice

During this process of practicing paraphrasing, I learned how to properly paraphrase without summarizing. I also learned how to use a "pithy" quote within my own writing and how to demonstrate my understanding of what the author actually meant. It has become more clear to me how to use each of these within my own writing and in the appropriate context.

This is what I learned today
  • Only use direct quote when it adds power and style to my writing
  • Always make it clear, from context, that I understand the full meaning of the quote
  • Whether I quote or paraphrase, I must always be transparent about the source and how I'm using it
  • If I use another author's exact words or phrases, to any extent, I have to use quotation marks and give credit
  • If I use another author's presentation of facts or ideas, but put their ideas in my own words,(paraphrase) I better have a good reason for doing so, and I MUST give credit
  • Hyperlinking is so easy, there is no excuse for not being transparent about my sources
After completing this simple process of learning and practicing paraphrasing, I am confident that I understand these concepts and ideas.

Comments